Cheesy Hamburger Casserole
Yield: 8 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Just as easy to make as Hamburger Helper and you can control the ingredients. Great weekday meal and the kids love it!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- one 28-ounce can pureed tomatoes, or your favorite sauce
- 16 ounce box macaroni noodles
- 1/2 cup each grated cheddar and mozzarella cheeses
- Sweat the onions in the oil with a three-fingered pinch of salt. Add the beef and cook it, breaking it up as you do. Add another three-fingered pinch of salt or two, along with the dry seasonings. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook for an hour.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water till it’s half done. Drain it and add it to the tomatoes. (I wanted this to stretch into two meals, so I used the whole box, but if you want your dish to be very tomatoey and beefy, you might want to add only half the macaroni). Stir it into the sauce. Taste it and add cheese and cover or transfer it to a large baking dish and cover it with foil. It can be refrigerated for up to two days, or frozen a few weeks.
- If refrigerated bake it in a 400 degree oven till it’s piping hot (about 45 minutes if it’s cold to room temperature). Just before you’re ready to eat, remove the foil, cover macaroni with the cheese and broil till the cheese is bubbly.