- ▢ ⅔ cup unsalted butter, softened dairy-free use Smart Balance butter
- ▢ 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ▢ 3 large eggs
- ▢ 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ▢ 2 ¼ cups gluten-free all-purpose rice flour blend with xanthan gum I like Pillsbury gluten-free. Not all gluten-free flours are created equal. You may experience different baking results depending on the gluten-free flour blend you choose.
- ▢ 3 ½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ▢ ½ teaspoon salt
- ▢ 2 cups milk dairy-free use unsweetened almond milk, cashew or coconut milk
- ▢ ¼ cup gluten-free sprinkles (optional)
Chocolate Butter Cream
- ▢ 1 cup unsalted butter, softened dairy-free use Smart Balance Butter
- ▢ 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ▢ ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- ▢ 1 cup cocoa powder
- ▢ ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ▢ 4 cups powdered sugar
- ▢ 3 tablespoons milk dairy-free use unsweetened almond milk, cashew or coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Cut parchment paper for the bottom of your two 8-inch cake pans and spray with gluten-free cooking spray.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until fully combined and smooth.
- Add gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until combined.
- Pour in milk and mix for 2 minutes on medium until batter is smooth.
- Stir in the gluten-free sprinkles. (optional)
- Pour the cake batter into the lined cake 8-inch cake pans.
- Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes. Please watch your oven because all ovens are different. Check the center of the cake by inserting a toothpick to make sure it is done. You will also see the sides of the cake pulling away from the side of the pan.
- Allow the cakes to completely cool before frosting. I like to use a baking cooling rack.
- Make the chocolate buttercream using the steps below.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth.
- Add the pure vanilla extract and pure almond extract and mix until fully combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until fully combined.
- Add the powder sugar 1 cup at a time and mix until fully combined.
- Add the milk and beat until smooth and spreadable.