Flavorful chunks of Italian sausage are combined with diced tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil, lots of red and green bell pepper and onion for an easy weeknight meal.
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 package Johnsonville Naturals Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add vegetable oil to a large pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides. Remove sausage from pan and set aside (Note: You do not need to cook it through at this point.)
- Add onion and peppers to grease left in pan and cook over medium heat until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Slice sausage into 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- Return sausage to pan along with all other ingredients.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until sausage is cooked through and sauce is thickened.
- Serve on hoagie rolls if desired.