- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash browns
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large Dutch oven or frying pan with sides, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle flour and salt over the onions and stir constantly for one minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk. Cook over medium high heat until mixture has thickened, about 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Add Creole seasoning and stir to combine.
- Stir in chicken, hash browns, carrots and peas. Evenly distribute mixture among mini Dutch ovens.
- Carefully unroll pie crusts. Using a knife cut circles slightly larger than the top of your mini Dutch ovens. Place cut circles on top of each Dutch oven, pressing lightly around the edges to secure.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 teaspoon water. Brush the tops of the pie crusts with the egg wash. Place pie crust cutouts on top of crust pressing lightly to secure in place. Using a sharp knife, cut a couple slits in the top of the pie crusts to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in 350° oven for about 1 hour or until the crusts are golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with flake salt, if desired. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 480kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.2g | Protein: 28.8g | Fat: 23.5g | Saturated Fat: 10.1g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 1243mg | Potassium: 582mg | Fiber: 3.9g | Sugar: 6.8g | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 2mg