Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a triple dose of old-fashioned buttery, melt-in your-mouth pineapple upside-down cake layered with homemade cinnamon vanilla whipped cream. Bonus: no mixer required for the cake recipe!
For the topping:
- 9 Tablespoons unsalted butter-melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 (20 oz.) can sliced pineapple(8 ring for every layer) -drained and save the juice
- 40–50 maraschino cherries (if they are large use 20–25 and cut them in half)
For the cake:
- 2 1/4 cups (210g) sifted all-purpose flour, don’t over measure
- 3 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 9 Tablespoons unsalted butter- melted
- 3 egg
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 6 Tablespoons pineapple juice -reserved from the canned pineapple
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4–1/2 cup powdered sugar (to taste)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare 3 9 inch round cake pans. If you don’t have three pans you can repeat the process for each layer after one is done.
- Spread 3 tablespoons melted butter into the bottom of each round cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar onto the butter ( 1/3 cup brown sugar in each pan). Arange the pineapple slices to cover the bottom of the pan and arrange cherries between the pineapple slices. Set aside.
- To make the cake in a medium bowl, sift together flour, corn starch baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave, whisk in the sugars – mixture will be gritty. Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly whisk in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Gently pour/spoon batter into prepared pans and smooth the top. Bake 30 minutes (until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Invert first layer on a large serving plate and the other two on a parchment paper to cool completely.
- To make the cinnamon whipped cream using a mixer whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form, add cinnamon, powdered sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Reserve 1/2 cup of cinnamon whipped cream for garnish.
- To assemble the cake spread 1/2 of remaining whipped cream onto bottom cake layer. Using really large spatula transfer second cake layer onto whipped cream layer (be careful the cake layer could fall apart really easy), spread remaining whipped cream and top with the third cake layer.
- Cover the cake and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.