The ultimate Quesadilla recipe! These are loaded with two kinds of gooey melted cheese and a flavorful, fajita style chicken and sautéed pepper filling. Talk about delicious Mexican comfort food everyone will go crazy for!
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper (about 2, I use red and green)
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 (10-inch burrito size) flour tortillas
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 oz. monterrey jack cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- Guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo or salsa, for serving (optional)*
- Toss chicken with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper (about 3/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper).
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook and turn occasionally until fully cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in same skillet. Add bell pepper and red onion and saute until tender, about 6 minutes, while adding in garlic during last 1 minute. Transfer to bowl with chicken, pour in lime and toss.
- Brush top side of tortillas with melted butter. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels, heat over medium heat. Toss cheeses together.
- Transfer one tortilla buttered side down to skillet. Working quickly sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese evenly over one half side of the tortilla then sprinkle with about 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Fold top half over, repeat with a second tortilla (you can fit two in the skillet at once).
- Let cook until golden brown on bottom about 2 minutes, then carefully turn to opposite side and continue to cook until golden brown on bottom.
- Repeat process with remaining tortillas, cheese and filling. Cut each quesadilla into 2 or 3 wedges. Serve warm with desired toppings.