Southern Hamburger Steaks with Onion Mushroom Gravy
Lets just start out by saying you are going to LOVE this recipe. Its so simple too and the flavor? Unbelievable! Just look at this?!? Fresh sliced mushrooms, Onions , seasonings! This makes it taste fantastic! You know me.. HAD to add BACON! Mix all together The smell coming from this pan is something out of heaven! I did 4 larger patties, but you can definitely make 6 smaller with this recipe. Creating those perfect pan drippings . . . It was hard for me to take these photos because I was starving the whole time
Hamburger steak with onion and mushroom gravy makes a classic, simple recipe. This quick recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes.
For the Hamburger Steak Patties
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 6 slice of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoons fresh black pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
For the Brown Onion Mushroom Gravy:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Gravy master (orange top)
- 2 cups of freshly sliced mushrooms
- In a Large bowl combine all the patty ingredients EXCEPT for the flour and olive oil & mix well.
- Shape into 4 to 6 hamburger patties – all the same size.
- In your flour you set aside, dip each patty so both sides are well coated
- In a large- semi-deep cooking skillet, on medium heat heat the olive oil and place each of the patties in the pan.
- Cook until browned on both sides, remove and set aside–reserving all the pan drippings for the gravy
- In the pan with the drippings, add in the sliced onions to the skillet, add a tablespoon of water, and cook over medium heat until lightly caramelized, stirring frequently.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the beef broth, water, 1/4 cup of flour, seasoning salt, pepper,, Worcestershire and gravy master,until well combined.
- Pour this mixture into the skillet with the onions and stir constantly, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Return your cooked hamburger steaks to the skillet, flipping a few times to coat each side with the gravy, you want to make sure they absorb the gravy on each side.
- Add in your sliced mushrooms, then reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes longer being sure to flip them every 5 minutes to keep them coated well..
- Serve over buttered mashed potatoes