- 1 lb. Lean ground beef
- ½ C. Onion chopped
- ¼ C. Green bell pepper chopped
- 1 C. Ketchup
- ½ C. Water
- 1 Tbsp. Brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Yellow mustard
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- 6 Slices Texas toast bread
- 12 Slices White American cheese
- Heat the broiler on high.
- Place the ground beef, onion and peppers in a skillet over medium high heat. Saute until the meat is browned and the vegetables have softened. Drain any excess fat.
- Reduce the heat on the stove to low, add the ketchup, water, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard and garlic powder. Stir to combine, and saute for 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Place the Texas toast on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler until golden brown.
- Top each piece of toast with a slice of American cheese and place the baking sheet under the broiler for 30 seconds.
- Add an equal portion of the meat mixture to the top of each piece of toast and then add another slice of American cheese.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler again until the cheese has melted.