This is a perfectly moist chocolate cake recipe that has the BEST chocolate frosting I’ve ever had! So easy to make, and totally homemade!
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 4 large Eggs , room temperature
- 1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 1 teaspoon Espresso Powder
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter , softened
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 12 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 7-8 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Whole Milk , more if needed
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter three 9-inch round cake pans and dust with flour, dumping out excess.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a standing mixer, mix the eggs, buttermilk, warm water, espresso powder, oil and vanilla until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between three pans. * (see note)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks, then after 20 minutes turn out to cool completely.
- Frost and enjoy!
For the Frosting:
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in the cocoa powder, powdered sugar and vanilla extract, beating until smooth and adding 1 tablespoon at a time of milk if needed to make it spreadable.
*Note: it took me 3 heaping cups of batter per pan. Cake will keep in the pantry for 5 days. Cover well.